The horrible question

Nicklasss

The horrible question

Post by Nicklasss »

So Jim, you had the 1996 and 2016 Lafite in a two weeks period.

Which was your favorite? :o
JimHow

Re: The horrible question

Post by JimHow »

Boy that's a tough one, Nic, it's like comparing the 2024 Celtics to the 1986 Celtics. I don't want to discriminate against the older bottle but I just thought the 2016 Lafite was perfection. It had absolutely everything that I look for, checked all the boxes, all the cliches. It was like a perfect Nadia Comaneci performance on the bars (seven perfect 10s at the Montreal Olympics). They were both gorgeously dominated by Lafite cabernet, I think they're both over 90% cabernet? I was a little surprised at how evolved the 1996 was in its color, although it still seemed youthful on the palate. Like David, I think it still has quite a few years ahead of it, although I'm not sure how much more complex it is going to get. The best 1996 Lafite I ever had was, it must have been over 15 years ago, when Mr. Vino and others came to visit and I poured two half bottles into a decanter and let it breathe for about eight hours. That night it rivaled what we experienced with the 2016. So, I think I will give the 2016 Lafite 100+ points, and the 1996 Lafite a mere mortal 100 points.
ericp

Post by ericp »

Cmon Jim, you can’t compare the 2024 Celts to the Greatest basketball team of all time! 😂
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

lol I know Eric, I just couldn’t bring myself to cite like the Warriors as a comparison. I do agree with you, the ‘86 Celts are the greatest team ever.
ericp

Post by ericp »

Thanks for keeping the Warriors out of it lol

Fingers crossed Tatum and Brown take the Olympics slights out on the league this year!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Fingers crossed Tatum and Brown take the Olympics slights out on the league this year!
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Sacramento date on the calendar. It's going to be ugly.