Thunder in Lewiston

JimHow

Thunder in Lewiston

Post by JimHow »

Eighteen days until Thunder in Lewiston....

Stay tuned....
JimHow

Re: Thunder in Lewiston

Post by JimHow »

17 days until Thunder in Lewiston....
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
Do tell. I have no idea what this means.
Cheers
mark
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha ha we have used the term in the past to signify epic BWE events, Claudius, a historic BWE event is scheduled to occur here in Maine on August 12-13. Stay tuned….

16 days until… Thunder in Lewiston.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Okay
Hope it goes well
Mark
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

LEWISTON SUN JOURNAL

MAINE LAWYER IN CONFIDENTIAL MEETINGS WITH CANADIAN PRIME MINISTER

Washington and Ottawa officials mum on nature of visit to northern neighbor

Lewiston, Maine (AP) -- Internationally renowned attorney and philanthropist Jimmy "Lynch Bages" How was seen waving to reporters at the Auburn-Lewiston Municipal Airport late Saturday afternoon, moments after returning from a whirlwind trip to Ottawa, Canada.

It was an exciting twenty four hours following multiple reported sightings of How dining with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in an Ottawa restaurant the night before.

"I had a wonderful dinner with my friend Justin," said the ebullient silver haired lawyer/philanthropist, appearing tanned and rested during an extended summer vacation in the Pine Tree State. "We spoke about some pretty sensitive issues, which I'm really not at liberty to discuss until I've briefed Kamala," said How, referencing his longtime friend, Vice President and presumptive Democratic Party presidential nominee Kamala Harris.

"Stay tuned, though!" How winked, as his limousine drove off.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

15 days until Thunder in Lewiston.
Warming up with a family lobster cookout on a spectacular Maine late July afternoon, we’ll have some 2020 St. Innocent Freedom Hill Chardonnay.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Warmed up for Thunder in Lewiston with some hard shell lobsters and 2020 St. Innocent Freedom Hill Chardonnay, mmm, quite divine.... Splendid with the steamers beforehand as well.

14 days until... Thunder in Lewiston.
Attachments
IMG_1276.jpg
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nice to see your keeping the tradition alive with that Malescot on the table with the lobster. Brings back memories from Bordeaux.😄
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Will Thunder in Lewiston be enhanced by additional attendees from the great northern tundra? Did you know that like 90+% of the population of Canada is on a latitude south of Lewiston, Maine?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Lobster in Maine, steamers, whoopie pie, my first time in BWE mansion in Lewiston, pass some time with Jimmy "Lynch Bages" How, i’m getting ready, it will be a great time.

Who else is in?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

LEWISTON SUN JOURNAL

OFFICIAL: LEGENDARY QUEBEC BWE-ER TO VISIT LEWISTON

Lewiston, Maine (AP) — Canadian and United States government officials confirmed last night what had been rumored for several days: Legendary Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast (BWE) Jean-Nicolas Maltais and his family will be arriving in this quaint central Maine villa for an official visit at the estate of internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy “Lynch Bages” How.

Scheduled for August 12th and 13th, it will be the first visit of the Canadian BWE icon to Lewiston since the founding of BWE nearly a quarter century ago.

An emotional How spoke briefly to reporters under klieg lights last night at his Lewiston estate.

“I’m just a country lawyer,” he said, tears welling in his eyes. “On behalf of Vice President Harris and all persons of goodwill from our country, I am humbled to be hosting our august friends from Quebec."

How hinted that he had already wrapped a “mystery wine” from his cellar in anticipation of the historic occasion.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

11 days up to The Thunder in Lewiston…
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Le Journal de Québec

Long time deserved BWE official international meeting

Saguenay, Québec (AP)
It is now coming shortly, the next visit of JN Maltais to the USA for a terrific journey. Maltais has been member of the best wine site in the World, Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast, since its early days in 2000. He is known for his precise nose and palate, as well as for some insane Bordeaux red wines tasting dinners (the whoopie pie affair)… But after all these years, friendship being stronger than ever, he never made it to the mansion of BWE founder, the famous philanthropist lawyer Jimmy “Lynch Bages” How, even after many years of formal invitations. Mr. How, even with his “stressful” 120 % full schedule, found a way to go to Maltais’s wedding in 2023. It did not took much for Maltais to finally plan a visit to Boston, followed by a visit to Mr How nest in the shiny town of Lewiston, Maine.

“Even if How has planned some famous bottles to be shared during these exceptional and unusual two days, and invited me to not bring any wines, I guess I will surely bring something not too fancy as wine, but at least to share some frank discussions enjoying some young Bordeaux” declared the 50 years old man from Québec. After all, these two fellow are recognized to enjoy red Bordeaux wines at any age, and still get some thrill about it.

There is also a rumor that Mr How contacted Mr Henry, main owner of the Boston Red Sox, to get the Maltais family to the ball game of the Friday August 9th, the first time of the Maltais in the very great Fenway Park and his green monster…
Last edited by Nicklasss on Wed Aug 07, 2024 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow! Now that's what I'm talking about! Be sure to have two Fenway Franks with yellow mustard, and a Diet Coke. I was there a couple weeks ago with my old law school buddies for our annual midsummer trip.

I have my wines picked out, including a mystery wine. I think I know what you are bringing.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

:twisted:

5 days…
Last edited by Nicklasss on Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

New Hampshire Journal

Littleton welcome the Maltais… but predicting controversy in a few days in Lewiston

Concord, New Hampshire (AP)

The day was sunny, the ride was calm, the US custom officer was welcoming, a perfect setup for the Maltais to arrive in Littleton, New Hampshire. The charming town, on the Amonoosuc River, has good things to charm the Québec visitors : sun, locally crafted beer, some old New Englad style building, bunch of stores and Chutters with it Guiness record longest candy wall.

While Maltais was making some purchase at the local Liquor store, talking to a staff member about BWE, the young man selling alcohol thought that the wines purchased was to enjoy with Jimmy ‘’Lynch Bages’m How… not at all say Maltais, revealing what bottle he brought for blind tasting with his philanthropist friend… The State Liquor man was kind of upset, saying that this wine brought by Maltais is a bit a controversial one…

Jean-Nicolas Maltais explained calmly to the man, while paying his bottles´´you know, it is not the first or the last controversial thing of BWE. In it’s long life up to now, BWE dealed well with controversy up to now, and one more will just help us to assess what is Bordeaux is all about. By the way, i never tried that specific wine either…’’.

Of course, when you think that a Bourgogne vintage or a Château Barde Haut has already been the BWE Wine of the Year, that Jimmy LB How has liked the 2010 Château Troplong Mondot or the 2013 Château la Lagune, or preferred the 1988 Vieux Château Certan to his beloved 1989 Château Lynch Bages in a blind tasting, controversial things have always been serving BWE well!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Weather looks good on Monday/Tuesday for the Lewiston visit, I think you’re going to miss the rain at Fenway on Friday night. Safe travels!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I hope low/no rain Friday night…
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think the rain is going to come into Boston about 8pm.
Get to Fenway early, like 6pm, take in the Jersey Street scene, buy some teeshirts or caps, the food options range from lobster and oysters to Fenway Franks. My tradition since when my Dad first took me there in 1967 is to go with two Fenway Franks, yellow mustard, and a Diet Coke. If you eat those hotdogs anyplace other than Fenway you will literally get ill. But in the magical confines of Fenway Park.... Mmmmm. Magic. Mmmm doggie.

Don't feel like you have to stay for the whole game. Catch a few innings and head out if it starts to rain. Looks like the rain is going to clear out in the early morning hours on Saturday and the rest of the weekend and into next week looks good!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Have a great time guys and keep us all up to date. I'll be there with you in spirit.
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Have a great time guys and keep us all up to date. I'll be there with you in spirit.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We'll miss you, Danny, but we'll raise a toast of the "mystery wine" to you guys.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looks like the weather is holding and the Fenway Frank with yellow mustard has been secured!
Attachments
IMG_0236.jpg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The rest of the Maltais family -- Beatrice, Simone, Julien, and Marie-Claude -- at Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts, my favorite place on the planet for reasons too many to recount here... coming with my Dad over the years... and Mom... and my brothers... and my high school buddies... and my college buddies... and my law school buddies... and my lawyer buddies... and with my girlfriends, and ex-wife, and all the insane historical events that I just happened to be here for, it is insane.... Fenway has been such an enrichment to our lives here in New England over the past century. They were literally like one day away from tearing this place down back in 2000, the Boston City Council had like UNANIMOUSLY approved it, those zeroes... I was on the "Save Fenway" committee at the time.... And then Bud Selig the Baseball Commissioner intervened in the sale of the Red Sox, and the rest is history....

I love Canada and its people, they have always been the best BWEers, no drama, no trying to impress anyone, just living good lives.... A dramatic contrast from the "Five Assassins" and their conspirators from the US and elsewhere, who would intentionally seek to do harm to the good people of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts, the Greatest Wine Web Site on the Internet. The Five Assassins.... Enjoy your bitter wine.

We shall see you soon in the Great State of Maine, Nicola!
Attachments
IMG_0238.jpg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

LEWISTON SUN JOURNAL

MYSTERY WINE THROWS TWIST INTO MALTAIS VISIT

Lewiston, Maine (AP) -- A last minute controversy arose on the eve of the historic Maltais family visit to scenic Lewiston, Maine.

Spectacular summer skies opened up on Saturday morning as the last remnants of Hurricane Debby passed through the state and out to shore.

The serene setting was interrupted by a sudden announcement from the internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy "Lynch Bages" How.

"We have always understood the palate of Jean-Nicolas Maltais to be among the most sophisticated in the world," said How. "We have wrapped a mystery wine in tin foil and it sits resting in the cellar for the ultimate test."

How said that the only clue forthcoming is that the wine is a red Bordeaux, but he refused to disclose the appellation, vintage, or even which bank of the Gironde from which it is produced. The mystery wine will be uncorked on Tuesday evening, the second, red meat evening of the visit.

The weather forecast is spectacular, with sunny, clear skies projected for the remainder of the visit.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

THE HARVARD CRIMSON

Old students remember BWE Bordeaux tasting class with the Lewiston legend

Cambridge, MA (AP)

It was a perfect day on Saturday August 10th to walk around on the Harvard University campus, to enjoy the site on that sunny end of afternoon.

While in the park next to the library and the chapel, two university staff members recognized the BWE character known as ‘’Nicklasss’’. Maltais was not expecting that but further discussion helped the early BWE member to understand : ‘’they recognized me as i’m on many pictures on BWE with Jimmy ‘’Lynch Bages’’ How’’ answered Maltais. The famous attorney and philanthropist is well known in Harvard for giving an important class on red Bordeaux tasting in the past, in company of owner of Château Tour Saint-Christophe, Mr Kwok.

Maltais was holding a bottle of Paso Robles sauvignon blanc, and the Harvard duo asked why and if it was a wine he would enjoy later with his good friend Jimmy? Maltais with his permanent cool attitude response ‘’Not at all. I have better plan for Mr How with top Champagne and a mystery red Bordeaux. The California dry white is to enjoy simply with my wife MC, that almost only want to drink crisp sauvignon blanc these days. But i have hope she’ll come back to red Bordeaux slowly but surely, as a recent 2010 Latour à Pomerol made a good impression on her’’.

Maltais had to go away with his family, as his minions where looking for some Harvard souvenirs. Also Sunday will be easy as last day in Boston, to keep some energy for the next two days that will be in Lewiston, under perfect weather conditions, in company of the living legend that started Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast about 24 years ago.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Marie-Claude injured her knee really badly in a fall in Boston, I told them to go home, I'd catch them next time. But ever the troopers, they made their way to Sherbrooke for an overnight stay in the hospital but, rather than going on to Saguenay, they turned around, came back to Maine, where Nic and I had not one, not two, but THREE lobsters -- EACH -- on the back deck, along with fromages.com cheeses from the mother land, clam chowder, and other accoutrements, and... yes... le pie de la whoopee....

And the wines....

2016 Chateau Lafite Rothschild
2017 Domaine Niellon Chassange Montrachet Clos St. Jean
2013 Dom Perignon
2019 Coutet half bottle

and....

The mystery wine.... 1993 Batailley.....

I'll report more a little later, after I get some feeling back in my limbs....

Wow what a night, the weather was perfect on the back deck. It doesn't get much better. The wines were spectacular.

Get well, Marie-Claude!
Attachments
IMG_1317.jpg
IMG_1324.jpg
IMG_1325.jpg
stefan

Post by stefan »

I hope that Marie-Claude recovers quickly.

Nice wines you drank. How is the 13 Dom? I have two or three bottles but have not tried one.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Oh no, I hope Marie-Claude is feeling better!

I can’t speak to 1993 Batailley, but it doesn’t sound like there was anything boring about your evening.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Just arrived home.

Yes, poor MC with a bad fall in Boston and opened her right knee (i won’t put the picture here. I sent it to Jim, and he is still making nightmares). It disturbed the final days of our trip in Maine, but MC is very tough to proposed to go to Maine anyway after 10 hours at the emergency of Sherbrooke hospital, tetanos vaccine, and big stiches to close back her knee. She rest last night, but this morning, the pain was higher so we left.

I thanks Jim for the hospitality, we had a great time even if the original plan was better. And he tricks me really well with the 1993 Batailley. I know that wine is not available in North America so i could never guessed it. I thought it was bad 1995, but it was really not having much qualities and respected the reputation i made about that wine : it was the second time i had it and it was as still incredibly boring!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

And oh men, when i cross back the US Customs, after a stop of 15 hours to Sherbrooke, and re-entry the country with 8.5 bottles of wine, worth approx 1400 $US, the officer gave me a bad time… but finally let us go!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Sorry to hear about Marie Claude’s accident Nic, I hope she gets better quickly.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Yikes! Feel better MC
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2013 Dom is a beauty, Stefan, it is open and fresh, kind of to the 2012 what 2009 is to 2008. Dom hits the spot for me, too bad it has gotten so expensive. The 2017 Niellon Clos St. Jean was a perfect match with the lobster, and the 2019 Coutet was a peaches and cream delight with some sliced peaches and cream. And the 2016 Lafite with whoopie pie…. Mmmm.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 1993 Batailley, which I sourced out of Belgium, was interesting in that it was still "youthful," showing not much sign of age in the color or on the palate for that matter. It was just a very weak effort with nothing in the mid palate, it's pretty clear this is the way it has always been. Cellartracker has it rated at 82 points, that sounds about right. Boring. VERY boring. Boring as a 1993 Batailly.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nicola is having trouble logging in, is anybody else having trouble logging into the site?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Just logged in with no problem.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Just catching up the Nic's adventures. Sad to hear about MC and we wish her a speedy recovery. Some great wines shared with good friends, a lobster or three along with whoopee pies. Sounds like a great time to me. Sorry we never touched base while you guys were together and I was looking forward to it but I got my days mixed up as to when the Maltais family was arriving. Hopefully catch up soon.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sorry we missed you, Danny, we had several video calls planned, including London, but it didn't work out.
We'll catch you guys soon, maybe another visit to Canada this winter.